Monday, April 23, 2007

Fireworks!

Jay es teniendo una siesta y por fin tengo tiempo para escribir. Esta semana ha estado muy tranquila. Los dias han hecho un poco de calor pero las noches han estado muy bonita. Hemos estado dando muchas vueltas y Jay le encantaba. El simpre quiere la calle. Creo que todos los ninos quieren la calle. Hay mas a ver alli. El miercoles pasada habia una mercadillo circa de nuestra casa. Habia muchos giptanos vendiendo ropa, zapatos, y fruta tambien. Compré zapatos del punto para 3 euros! Muy barato, vale? Jay los gusta. No saque nada photos de la mercadillo pero saque un photo de mis zapatos. Te gustan? Esta semana es muy especial en Espana porque es la samana de La Ferria in Sevilla. La Ferria es una celebracion muy importante aqui. No se exactamente lo que es, pero voy a ver Viernes porque estamos yendo. Tengo ganas!

Translation: Jay is taking a nap and I finally have time to write. This week has been very relaxed. It has been a little hot during the day here but the nights have been very beautiful. We have taken a lot of walks and Jay loves it. He always wants to go outside. I think that all children love the outside. There is more to see there. Last Wednesday there was a Market near our house. There were many gypsies selling clothes, shoes and fruit too. I bought dot shoes for 3 Euros. Very cheap, right? Jay likes them. I didn't take any picture of the market but I took a picture my shoes. Like them? This week is very special in Spain because it is the week of the Ferria in Sevilla. The Ferria is a very important celebration here. I don't know exactly what it is but I will see on Friday because we are going. I am excited!

Just wanted to try out my Spanish. Sorry if it's not totally correct but I'm still learning :) I really am excited for the Ferria. It will be interesting to see what it's like - and I'll definitely post more after we go. Last Saturday night we had an interesting experience. The town we live in is celebrating its 500 year anniversary this year and they had a large Fireworks display Saturday. We were excited for it because we were told the fireworks would be shot off near our house - well "near" our house doesn't exactly describe it. We were out on our balcony while Jay was in his room sleeping peacfeully around 10:30 pm when our house turned into a war zone. The fireworks were being set off about 50 yards away in the orange grove across the street! And let's just say the Spanish don't seem quite as concerned about safety as they should be. Several giant, flaming chunks of fireworks landed on the old, wooden olive oil factory nearby as well as our roof. We had to go inside to watch most of the display or risk being pelted by the hot ash. Luckily it had rained earlier that day or who knows what would have happened! We live next door to two empty fields filled with wild flowers. The wind blew all the smoke from the fireworks towards our house and near the end it really felt like we were in the middle of World War 3. There was smoke, flashes of bright light, burning objects flying through the air and scary booms resonating throughout. And speaking of those booms, poor little Jay woke up scared and crying because of the noise. Every time he would quiet down another big boom would sound and he'd be crying again. Luckily he went right back to sleep after it was all over. All in all it was quite the experience! It wasn't quite what we expected, but what is when you're in a foreign country? It was nice at first, before the smoke, and we laughed the whole way through the rest.



Well, that's about all for now. Bring on the Ferria ~ oh and check out this cool Flamenco song, the Flamenco is a special part of Ferria week!

2 comments:

leslie said...

LOVE the new shoes... makes me happy just looking at them!!!

jill connelly said...

Wow! What an amazing daughter-in-law I have!!! She had the cutest baby on earth, cooks great meals for large crowds, learns a new language in a few short months AND finds shoes for three euros?? Could I ask for anything more? NOPE! I love you Anna. Thanks for doing this blog. I feel like I'm almost still there. xo Jill*