Monday, May 28, 2007

Snips and Snails and Puppy Dog Tails...

We have an infestation. They've come in hundreds and are attempting a hostile takeover. The saying goes, "slow and steady wins the race." We'll see caracoles, we'll see. Every evening Mike goes outside and meticulously picks 50-100 snails off the wall that surrounds our house and every morning there are 50-100 new snails waiting for him. It's unbelievable! I've never seen so many snails. Mike likes to compare it to America's attempt at border control. For every one that is caught, 50 more are sneaking in. When will it stop? What is especially hilarious to me is to see little old ladies selling the very same snails downtown. Ewww! I have eaten snails since we've been in Spain, but I don't think I will be able to do it again. The ones that are alive pop off nicely, leaving a little goo in their place, but the old dead ones are more difficult. These you need to pry off one by one. Another annoying thing is that snails are very bad for flowers. Our pretty purple and pink ones died because the snails found their way into the flower pots :( Now I'm much more protective of my plants. But enough about snails...
Jay's been having fun hanging out with his older, more "mature" friends Johnny and Christopher. They both are about a year older than Jay and he is very interested in them. He loves when they play peak-a-boo with him and talk to him nicely. Sometimes they are a little scary though when they talk too loudly, try to pull on him or touch his eye (if you know Johnny, you know what I'm talking about). Don't worry, we're always close by to make sure Jay doesn't get hurt. They really are great little boys and we love them both!
Today we went back to the beach with John, Maria and Johnny and it was a lot of fun! Unfortunately it was a little windy, but we still had a good time. Johnny loves the ocean and Jay seemed much more comfortable with it on his second visit. We're looking forward to many a fun beach days this summer. As we were coming home we passed by a house with a giant dog resting on the steps! We had to get out and take a picture because he looked so funny. Isn't he cute?

2 comments:

jessicalangprice said...

Anna, I can't believe the snails have just multiplied! Your poor flowers! Your beach pictures turned out so cute and I love the one with the big random dog! I'm glad Jay is having fun with the boys. Tell their mommies I said hi.

leslie said...

the pic of the dog is so great!!! i want to be able to lounge like that! and if those pesky snails weren't capable of so much damage, i would think they were kinda cool! i wanna see more pics of 'em!