
As promised, here is a picture from the gnome house. Check out the cool horse statues too! I'm still not sure this photo does it justice, but at lease you have an idea. Pretty neat, isn't it? Just looking at it makes me feel like I'm in a theme park.

Today Jay and I went to base to look for some jeans and long sleeve shirts for him. We discovered that the Nex has virtually no good clothes for little boys. I couldn't find a single pair of pants in his size. Oh well, I guess we're just lucky to find any U.S. priced clothes at all in Germany. It's on to oldnavy.com for me! So while I was there I had an unpleasant experience. I was pushing Jay around in his stroller looking for the bath soap isle. When I found it we turned in and scooted behind a lady looking at shampoo which happened to be next to the bath soap. I said a little excuse me since the isles aren't huge and we may have barely brushed her. She said excuse me back to me, then after a pause she snapped, "I was being sarcastic." I didn't know what to do. No one has been so openly rude to me in a long time. I didn't say anything at all, assuming she must just be having a bad day... or maybe she was crazy. Either way I figured there was no use in responding. Afterwards I kept thinking about it (obviously I still am). Why are people mean sometimes? Did I really offend her by my actions? Was
I being rude in some way? I was sort of bothered by it all. So my point in writing all of this down is that one little comment can turn a whole person's attitude. Whoever came up with that sticks and stones idea was way off. And if one rude comment can make such a difference, think what one kind one can mean? Maybe if I had said something nice to that lady her day would have turned out better. I'm going to start looking for kind things to say that will make someone's day a little brighter.
I'll tell you who makes my day brighter every singe second...

How cute is that little grin?

What a perfect little boy.
6 comments:
she obviously was having a bad day...maybe someone had slighted her or already upset her in some way and she was getting even. In any event, you have the right idea, smile and say something positive and you can turn a frown upside down! You are so wonderful sweetie that you can learn from an experience like this one and change your attitude! Now that's being a disciple of Christ. I love you and give that precious little bug a hug! LOL mom
I can tell you exactly what was wrong, if she was German that is. Germansdon't ever say "excuse me", in fact, they don't have much of a belief in personal space or politeness the way Americans do. For example, if your in line for anything, and leave a little space between the person in front of you for their privacy sake, in Germany they'll cut right in front of you thinking that you must not have been in line because you weren't standing as close as possible to the person in front of you. Likewise, they don't understand the "pardon me" or "excuse me" that Americans say when we walk in front of someone or get in their way. They just can't understand because it's not socially accepted. Usually you'll get an incredulous or amused look from them by saying these words.
Occasionally you'll get a snide comment from them too. It's because of this that many Americans mistake German society as being very rude and inconsiderate. But really it's just a different mind set over there. And as much as I hate to say it... because I love Germany so much... it probably won't be the last time this happens. Germans can be pretty brusk. In their defense, though, half the time they just don't know what to make of the "strange" American ways.
I hope this blurb was helpful! Germany is a wonderful place, but it takes some getting used to!
DUDE- First of all- I miss you. Second, ARE YOUR PARENTS MOVING? I heard that on sunday and I need to update!! Love you!
love the gnomes!! you'd better start looking around for one to take home with you - put it in your garden or porch or somewhere so that when you look at it, you'll remember your time in germany. we have one sitting on the first step of our front porch. everyone comments on it..... i think they're so fun!
sorry about the mean lady. you handled it well. i'm horrible in those situations. i tend to bite back.
keep those pics comming. :)
I am so proud of Jay--you may think it is because he is walking--but no, I would like you to notice the toy he is holding. A yellow stuffed dog. See, he loves Solo already. I have a firm belief every little kid should have a puppy-if not a real one-then a stuffed one to snuggle with. :op
Fern - Thanks for the tip. I didn't know that German's don't do the "excuse me" thing. Actually, I really do love Germany and the people here have been very nice to us. Our landlords are some of the nicest people I've ever met! And sadly my incident with the mean lady was on an American base. No doubt that Americans can be rude at times. Anyone from any country can be really. Do you know German then? I can't remember why you spent time in Germany. I seriously need to learn some German. I feel so dumb asking every German I come into contact with if they speak English!
Tisha - My parents are moving (sort of). My dad's finally pretty much retired, although he still goes in once a week. They're moving to Nevada, but they'll still be in town frequently and will probably move back eventually. As far as I know the house is going up for sale, but it seems like a long shot for it to be sold. I'll call you sometime so we can catch up.
Leslie - You totally seem like someone that would have a gnome and I love it! I definitely want to get one while we're here. They're great, aren't they?
Mikaela - Jay LOVES his doggy. When I show it to him or say, "Where's your doggy?" he runs over to it and gives it hugs and snuggles. We're definitely training him early. By the way, we need to talk!
Post a Comment