Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Heidelberg and the Christmas Market

We actually went to Heidelberg before Christmas, but I haven't had a chance to post about it until now. Heidelberg is about an hour away from us and we decided to head up there the weekend before Christmas to check out one of the famous German Christmas markets. The city was beautiful but very COLD. Have I mentioned how cold it is in Germany? The Christmas market was at the end of a long pedestrian street lined with retail shops. It was fun to look through the stores when we needed a break from the freezing cold air outside (which was about every 10 minutes). Everywhere we went merchants were selling Gluewhein, which is a hot spiced wine punch that is very popular in Germany at Christmas time. It smelled so good, but of course we didn't get any. We did buy some yummy bratwursts and fresh hot pretzels to keep warm. There were many pretty things being sold at the Christmas market. Everything from beautifully embroidered tablecloths to nativity scenes (By the way, in my family we often called the nativity a creche... Mike always makes fun of me for it and refuses to believe it's a real word. Anyone else out there ever used the word creche?). We didn't end up buying anything at the Christmas fair but we did buy our GPS at a huge discount electronic store nearby. After seeing the Christmas market and when our fingers, toes and noses were nearly frozen off we ducked into a little cafe and had some yummy hot chocolate. I just have to comment on how wonderful the customer service was. Maybe it seemed especially nice because we've been in Spain for so long (where store owners and employees are doing you a favor by allowing you to frequent their establishment). It was such a pleasure to find a waitress who was actually trying to make our experience pleasant. All and all we really enjoyed Heidelberg. We definitely want to go back on a warmer day though since we couldn't see the famous castle due to the dense fog. We don't mind though, it's definitely a city nice enough to visit twice.

2 comments:

Desta said...

In your defense, a few days ago we were flipping channels and PBS had a special on the origin of Nativity Scenes and more than one of the scholar/expert people they were talking to called them a creche. But I think that is the first I had ever heard that.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry Anna, everyone in my family refers to the stable part of the nativity as the creche, I don't know why the specific name to the specific part, but my family is insane so no real need to wonder I suppose. But I have definitely heard the word used lots of times and seen it on products ;op