I have been reminded recently of the great blessing of eternal families. How wonderful that we have been given the promise of being together forever when we make and keep covenants with the Lord. Mike and I read a really great Ensign article last night in the February Ensign called After the Manner of Happiness by Elder John B. Dickson. One thing I really enjoyed was the section called "The Commandments and our Children." He explained that there is a sequence of things we should teach our children. Alma 12:32 says "God gave unto them commandments, after having made known unto them a plan of redemption." As this scripture outlines we too should first teach our children the plan of happiness, the purpose of life on earth and why we have a Savior. After they understand the joy these things bring they will naturally desire to keep the commandments. The commandments will make sense. How wonderful that we have counsel from Prophets and Apostles of the Lord in our modern day. I am also grateful for the scriptures that give us so much understanding and knowledge as to how we should live our lives.Along the same topic of families, Mike and I have been listening to the Worldwide Leadership Training Meeting today (http://www.lds.org/library/display/0,4945,8027-1-4404-1,00.html). We had Stake Conference but since Jay has been so sick with the flu (all the fun stuff - fever, throwing up, diarrhea) we decided to spare the other kids in our ward and stay home. Since the adult session yesterday was a replay of the Leadership Training Meeting we decided to listen to it today. What a wonderful message to the world about the family! The family is central to the Plan of Salvation and we know family is one of the only things we can take with us into the next life. I have been reminded to be a little more patient, to serve more diligently, to forgive quickly and above all to put the Lord first in my home. Why is it so hard to make time for scripture study? Family home evening? Family prayer? They are paramount to our family's happiness. We are trying and we will try a little harder to make sure we are diligent in these areas. I know when the Spirit is present in our home we are all so much happier. I love my family so much and I know I can be with them forever!
(Artwork by 1.Roland Lee 2. Leonard Wren)
2 comments:
Families are cool.
Thanks for sharing your testimony. We missed the Worldwide Training talks too, and I have been anxious to read or listen to them. After reading your post I know I need to look them up soon! As for Jay, I am sorry to hear he is sick. It is so hard when your child is sick. I hope he gets better soon. Also, I have loved reading your other posts about all your adventures. How fun to go castle hopping! :)
Post a Comment