Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Sevilla at Night

Last Saturday night we went to Sevilla to walk around and eat some tapas. I love Sevilla so much. It's such a magical city. Sometimes I wish we could live inside the city just so we could take late night strolls and live the Sevillian lifestyle. It's a little too far from Mike's work though so it probably wouldn't be worth it. We do enjoy visiting though. The new metro train is finally finished so the streets are no longer torn up. It looks really nice! Of course there were plenty of people out walking the streets at 9 pm. It was a Saturday but I doubt it would have been any different on a weekday. Sevilla is a city that never sleeps - except during medio dia :) Mike and I decided the very best time to travel anywhere in Europe is in the month of October. Everything is less crowded and the weather tends to be really nice. Of course if you have kids in school this isn't easy to do. That's why I think I would really like it if Jay went to a year-round school.
Jay loved running around the streets. One of the best things about Sevilla is that there is pretty much no car traffic within the old city. Jay loved the freedom. He's gotten so good at following us around and listening when we tell him to stop or go a certain way. He's so used to walking here. The cathedral looked beautiful at night, all lit up. We even saw a bride and groom taking pictures in front of it. When we first parked our car and were walking out of the parking garage a huge group of people passed us dressed to the nines. They looked like they were coming from an opera or a royal ball. Well, once we saw the bride and groom we figured out that they were just coming from the wedding. You wouldn't believe how fancy people dress up for weddings here! Seriously, all the men are in tuxes and the women must spend at least 500 euros on their dresses. There's this industrial part of our town where there happens to be two wedding halls where people hold their receptions. We're very confused as to why they would build wedding halls next to industrial buildings. On the outside it looks pretty hideous but I guess the insides are fancy. We always laugh though because when you drive by that area Friday through Sunday there are all these people dressed to kill walking around an industrial park! Oh well, to each his own.
Anyway, we had a great night in Sevilla. Mike took Jay and I to one of the bar/restaurants (in Europe bars are restaurants and restaurants are bars) that he's gone to with his Spanish contacts a lot. It's well known for these little pork sandwich tapas. When we got there they weren't at all busy yet, seeing as it was only 8:00 pm. Jay was instantly interested in the bar stools and decided he wanted to sit at the bar. So we sat up at the bar and ordered a beer...
just kidding. That was someone elses, we just asked the bartender if we could take a picture ;) Jay loved all the attention and we had some great food. Jay did get to order his own orange Fanta and he was pretty excited about that. His big night in the big city! After eating Jay ran around a fountain for about half an hour bugging all the jovens (teenagers) lounging on the nearby benches. We had a great time. It's nights like these that we're going to miss when we move back to the States. I guess we'd better enjoy them while we can!

8 comments:

Mikaela said...

Wow, I can't believe it has been a year since we were doing the same thing!! You are right it is a magical city, and certainly enjoy it while you can. Salt Lake just doesn't have quite the same feel or nightlife. The ambience is a little different around 1200 year old buildings. ;op Can't wait to see you guys, I cry nearly just thinking about it and what an amazing time we had last year. I spent a good forty minutes talking about the great trip we had and the incredible experiences you are having just yesterday at lunch with a friend. Also, Abednego nebechaneezer was a joke. ;op

Tayla said...

How beautiful! It's like an adventure everyday. You definitely don't get that living here! Jay seems like he is such a good little traveler. How nice for you! I love the pictures you took. I also like the new look of you blog. It turned out nice! :)

Jennifer (Fern) said...

What a beautiful place! You ate dinner at 8 o'clock and the place wasn't busy YET. Wow, talk about night life. What a fun adventure.

Jeff and Aubree Gittins said...

It all looks so great! Jeff is ready to plan another trip to Spain. He saw a show on traveling in Spain and got the itch again. I would be all game, but you know, other obligations are a little more important. Maybe in a few more years.

Mary Kelly said...

I love that your family will have so many amazing adventures and memories traveling together! That is great that Jay is so easy going and able to stay up late with the rest of the big people. I thought the bar picture was super funny!

Mueller Family said...

Sevilla looks beautiful. I saw that you tube video of mustache man "its hard being me" I love how the hardest part was the "mustache!" Now that I have lived the sweet life of mustache ownership I must say he's right. The whole time I had that thing the hardest part about being me was that stupid mustache. Hope all is well with everyone-take care.

Sage's Father said...

It looks like Jay is ready to come hang out at the pub in L.A. with Uncle Cory ;o) Only kidding Dej! I'll wait until he's at least 10... 12... fine... NEVER. You're no fun!

jessicalangprice said...

I LOVE THESE PICTURES! I also loved reading Mikaela's comment. I think she should go with that name! Ha! Looks like you guys had a fun night - what a great thing to do as a family, bar and all.