Friday, November 07, 2008

Yes we can!

So I was thinking the other day that Obama's "Yes we can!" phrase sounds rather familiar to me. Now why would a mother of a 2 year old be so acquainted with such a phrase? Because it's the signiture phrase of Bob the Builder of course! Obama obviously viciously plagiarized Bob the Builder and infringed upon all copyright decency. How can such a shameless man run our country? Oh the inhumanity!!! Okay, before you get your panties in a bunch I'm just joking :) I just thought it was really funny that Obama and Bob have the same signature phrase. Hey, it works for Bob and it has obviously worked for Obama. Maybe I should make it our family motto?

So we have a new President. I must admit that I wasn't disappointed to hear he had won (considering the choices, how could I be disappointed or excited by either:). I will decline to write who I voted for, not that it actually would have mattered either way since our vote is placed in Utah, but in the end I didn't feel too strongly for either candidate. I know there are those who absolutely detest Obama and then there are those who wish he could be the father of their children but I somehow don't fall into either category. My question is, when are we going to change the lame primary system? I am not a fan of the electoral college scheme. I never feel like my vote really counts. It's so frustrating when the popular vote actually outweighs the electoral vote. Anyone can plainly see what the people's choice is however living in one State over another seems to make your vote count more or count less. How can we still be using a system that was origionated when there were no political parties and most people didn't even had a right to vote? I know it has been "modified" to fit our current day but I honestly think it has been made worse and there is no doubt it is the most confusing system in the Western World. And what's the deal with having to fit in with either the Republican or Democratic party? You can't even vote in the primaries unless you're registered as Republican or Democrat! There is no possible way that most Americans agree absolutely with the ideals of either one party or the other. My guess is that people generally like and dislike ideas on both sides of the line. Anyway, I'm no political guru but somehow it just doesn't make much sense to me. I know that if we have too many political parties than there is the possibility of a Hitler randomly arising (splitting the vote) but hopefully our political system would prevent such a dictator to create a similar awful chaos in our country. Basically I don't know the answer but I sure hope a presidential election happens in my lifetime where I can honestly support one candidate or the other.

As far as my feelings on our new President, there are plenty of things I don't agree with him on however I ardently hope that he will make a positive difference in our country and I think there is a distinct possibility that he will. After all, there's nowhere to go but up after the last 8 year reign, right? :) I pray that Obama will make wise choices in his advisers and that our country will recover from the mess we're in. I think that the most important thing a President can do is surround himself with truly intelligent, rational, experienced advisers (that don't include good old Dick, Wolfowitz, Rumsfield etc). Our country is more dependent on those advisers than it is on the President. I can't even begin to imagine how complicated the system within the White House and Capital Hill actually is. How much difference can a President really make? How much depends on the House and Senate? How much is left up to chance? And in this day and age how much is being left up to the courts? (On this point I'll wager way too much). So many people I know are either calling this the greatest moment in our nations history or the end of days. First of all... ummm, yeah it's the end of days. I'm pretty sure we've known that for a while and secondly, people are rather dramatic. It is obvious that change is brewing and we will see its effects over the next 4+ years but I personally find it impossible to predict whether this change will be good or bad. Actually I would imagine we will have some of both. As far as Helaman 13:24-31 goes, I absolutely believe that this scripture is being fulfilled in our day however I cannot say I agree with those who have decided this scripture refers specifically to Obama. I am inclined to personally believe that it refers to many (sadly most) leaders, celebrities and politicians of every kind in our day who would never chastise his or her audience but would rather flatter away the hearts and minds of their admirers for no other reason than to gain support and to prevent themselves from being held to a double standard. Well, enough said. Let us all prepare our own selves for the coming days by following the commandments of the Lord and doing all we can to effect a positive change in our country. The votes have been cast, the leader decided so let us move forward with hope and know that ultimately the fight has already been won by our Savior, Jesus Christ. What greater hope can we have than in Him?

8 comments:

Jeff and Aubree Gittins said...

Wow! You took the words right out of my mouth. I feel the same way about voting and our new President. It will be very interesting to see what is to come.

leslie said...

fantastic post, anna! joe and i laughed and laughed at your "yes we can" connection... so great!

Bonni said...

Anna, your post was refreshing. I appreciate your decision to be optimistic regarding our new president. I'm excited for some change and truly hope things only go up from here. If they don't, however, how would you feel if the Bohn family moves in with you in your lovely Spanish abode? ;)

PS We're stoked to see y'all over Thanksgiving break! We're available all day Friday, Nov. 28. Are you free that day, by chance? Let me know!

Kristi said...

Yay, I'm excited I stumbled onto your blog from Tom and Cody's. We have one too (kingstonandkristi.blogspot.com). I heard you guys were in Ogden, then in Spain.. so where are you now? Very exciting. Hope life is going well, your son is adorable!

-Kristi (Jeppson) White (Nikki's old roommate)

Anonymous said...

Great post Anna, and I love the pictures of Jay finger painting. I can't believe how big he is getting. I can't wait to see you guys in Utah. I will email you and we will figure something out.

jill connelly said...

Never wiser words spoken...especially your last four or five sentences. Glad I'm on your side. 5 days and counting till we actually lay eyes on you!!! Woo hoo!
Love you all.
Jill*

Nonna said...

You are so wise little one. Obama was not my choice (I fear his socialist ideas and eagerness to change our moral fabric) but I believe in the demogratic process and the country and electoral college voted him in so now it is time, as you said, to begin afresh with a bright hope. We have so much to be grateful for in this country, our freedom of thought and speech, our religious freedoms, the checks and balances in our democratic government. But our greatest hope is in Christ; he has given us a plan of happiness, a blueprint to eternal joy. Now, we just need to do our part, follow Him, believe Him.
Thank you Dej for your sweet words that inspire good thoughts. I love you, mom :)

Mikaela said...

Okay, did anyone else notice she put mother of two?!?!?!?! Did you steal that part from someone else --speaking of copying-- or am I really that out of the loop? I don't think Mike counts Anna. What the heck!?!?!?! Call me ASAP punk! ;op