Friday, April 30, 2010

The Fair!

I love to go to the fair.



I have always loved the fair. While I know that the Nevada County fair is the best in the world, I am open minded enough to recognize other fairs can be great too. Like the Pima County Fair. We went over the weekend and it did not disappoint! While the food was no where close as good as the Nevada County fair, we still found some decent pizza and we even splurged on a $4 snow cone (we would do better to buy one from Maria and John in Spain). Jay of course loved the rides and I felt nostalgic watching him enjoy some of the same ones I experienced as a child. He's still too nervous to go on the giant slide - but I'm hoping that will change in a year or so.


Jay decided he needed some daddy protection on the super-fast roundabout ride.


After getting off Mike commented, "Now I remember why I hated that ride as a kid." Let's just say the combination of KFC, the superfast ride and 8 year old Mike didn't mix well. At least you didn't throw up this time sweetie!

Okay, so for as cool as the Nevada County Fair is, I have to be "fair" and give props to the Pima County Fair for 2 things. First, the shark tank.


How often do you see sharks at a fair? To be honest, we kind of felt bad for them. 

But even better than sharks? A FREE demolition derby!!!

Amaya loved the show!

It was pretty awesome. Because really, what's cooler than watching trashed cars drive around a muddy field trying to smash into each other hard enough that their engines catch on fire? I submit nothing (unless your European - then it's just weird). My favorite are the cars with random sized tires on them.

Here are some more highlights from the Pima County Fair.

Giant hot dog wrapped in a flag, smothering himself with ketchup and mustard - for you! mmm... giant hot dog man.

How long have they been out of business now?

Watch out, these are angry unicorns!

A skeleton rowing down a river in a bath tub with the energizer bunny. Carny art.

5 comments:

Angie said...

I love all of the random fair stuff you took pictures of! Looks like a fun time! Pretty neat that they had a free demolition derby... I bet Jay LOVED that. He looks like such a big boy on all of the rides.

jessicalangprice said...

Oh the random WT. How did this compare with feria? At least Jay had fun, right Mike? You are brave and selfless to go on one of THOSE types of rides.

Nonna said...

County Fairs are fun no matter how old you are...even Amaya seemed to enjoy all of it..screams, colors, and later on, mommy's fair treats:)
Love the pix of Jay on the rides...sure looks like he had some thrills and a Demolition derby to top off the day?? I'm sure Jay will mark that Saturday as one of his favorites with mommy & daddy & Amaya! Great family fun (only thing that would have made it better would be Nevada County corn dogs:o) luvs & hugs sweet family

María Pérez Sánchez said...

qué feria tan guay... auqnue es verdad que no entiendo lo de llos coches rotos...y ese hombre con su gorro encima del coche...american people... :-) 4 $ por un snow cone? guauuuuu... Amaya está preciosa...a ella le encanta ir de de feria también...

Mikaela said...

okay favorite post of a long time, Anna you are hilarious!! LOVE the demolition derby pictures, especially the cowboy standing on the hood, classic. I remember the last time we went to one we were sitting next to a guy with probably a total of three teeth wearing coveralls covered in grease and others just like him and not feeling very surprised when during the ladies heat they announced someone was hurt and said guy immediately ran off yelling it was his wife. Glad you had a great time. Pretty sure the unicorns are out of that creepy candy mountain youtube video.