We had a blast in St Kitts. Brad, Nicole, Mike and I decided to go scuba diving here and it was a great experience. We did two dives. The first was The River Taw Wreck, where we saw a cargo ship that sunk in 1981. The site is now one of the most popular places to dive in the Caribbean. I really enjoyed swimming through a passageway in the ship and seeing the amazing choral and other sea life that has grown on the ship.
This isn't us, just a picture I found of the dive online.
Another picture of the dive site.
Again, picture from the dive site, but ones I didn't take.
Here's a picture of me and Nicole before our second dive. Take a look at that mask. Seriously, how did I not realize it wasn't my size??
After diving we had enough time to take a tour of the island, so we found a taxi driver (Andre - taxiandre_17@hotmail.com, he's great!) and saw St. Kitts.
It's a beautiful island with a complicated history, like all of the Caribbean islands. Andre explained to us that St. Kitts has been inhabited by several groups of people including Archaics and Igneris since 3000 BC. The warlike Caribs wiped out the original inhabitants taking over the island in 1300 AD. They were living on the island when Christopher Columbus discovered and claimed it for Spain in 1493. Following the discovery, the island was fought over mainly by the French and English. They only united briefly to massacre the Caribs, a and act of defense - they had secretly found out the Caribs were planning their own massacre of the Europeans. We drove by "bloody point" as they now call it, where the massacre happened.
What a sad history. Control went back and forth between France, Spain and England until 1967 when it became an Associated State of Britain. The three European nations used St. Kitts mostly to produce sugar cane. Thousands of African slaves were brought to the island to work the fields. They lived in extremely harsh conditions and many died in their labor. They were finally liberated in 1834 when slavery was abolished in Britain. There are no Caribs left on the island. The majority of the current population is of African decent. Most of the Caribbean islands have a similar history. There is no doubt the Caribbean is one of the most beautiful places in the world, but I think it is important to remember it wasn't always a tourist destination.
We thoroughly enjoyed our tour. Andre did a wonderful job explaining the history and showing us some of the most unique places. He took us to a converted plantation home now used to create batik (a multi-step process using wax and dye to create colorful pictures and patterns on fabric).
One of the last spots Andre took us to was a high point on the island where you can see the Pacific and the Caribbean seas meet.
So beautiful! It was a wonderful day. We were pretty warn out by the end, but we enjoyed every minute of it.



2 comments:
So glad you didn't tell me about the diving mask incident...I get chills just thinking of you struggling deep in the Caribbean with a leaky mask!! You are one brave woman...I would have panicked and probably drowned!! You go girl!!
Thank the Lord for watching out for our sweet daughter:)
Do you take avid and copious notes wherever you go? I can't believe the history you add to your blogs. I absolutely love it. Yes, ditto to your mom's remarks. So relieved you conquered that frightening experience. That is interesting how you said all your senses had been taken away...and now sight. Very inSIGHTful of you. xo
Post a Comment