Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Monserrate and the Botero Museum


Mike was able to take a few days off while Nonna and Zina were here so we decided to head up to Monserrate. It's a mountain overlooking Bogota. You can take a cogwheel train up to the top where there is a beautiful church built in the 17th century. The views can be amazing on clear days but unfortunately it was overcast for us. It was still very beautiful and we definitely enjoyed going!

 They had a llama at the bottom of the mountain so we took a few quick pictures :)

















After visiting Monserrate we went to the Botero museum. Botero is the famous Colombian artist who paints all the fat people. I guess properly you would say he paints with "exaggerated and disproportionate volumetry." He also uses a lot of irony and humor in his art. He is actually still alive and painting and still very popular all over the world.



They had a few other famous paintings there as well. When Jay saw this one he said, "What in the world is that?" Haha :)

1 comment:

jill connelly said...

Yes to Monserrate!!! We gotta go. What a cool place! I love the overlook of the city too. I'm getting soo excited. Wonder if the fat-persons artist is fat? I love Jay's comment. I have said that more than hundred times in art museums. From the wisdom of a six year old, he nailed it. "What in the world is that?"