Monday, October 15, 2007

La Alhambra

Wow, what can I say? The Alhambra was simply amazing. It was unlike anything I have seen in Europe thus far. The Alhambra is remarkably well perserved, which I think is what makes it so impressive. From what I've gathered (it's sort of confusing) The Alhambra was a palace and fortress of the Moorish monarchs of Grandada. It was built in the 13th and 14th centuries when it served as the residence of the Muslim kings of Granada and their court.Over the reign of the Nysarid Dynasty, the Alhambra was turned into a palatine city complete with an irrigation system composed of acequias for the beautiful gardens of the Generalife located outside the fortress. This is where the Granadine kings relaxed: the Generalife. I wish I had a summer home so beautiful! The Nysarid palace, which is what the Alhambra is know for, has stucco walls carved with Arabic calligraphy and tile mosaics. Since the Muslims could not use pictures to display their beliefs they wrote them on the walls instead. The palace is so beautiful and remarkably well preserved. We had such a wonderful time visiting the Alhambra.


1 comment:

jessicalangprice said...

Did you guys get to go with D & M? We would love to come back to Spain and go here with you guys. Next year?