Friday, November 16, 2007

My favorite Spainiard and the best chicken EVER!

Well, Jill has left us. We were so sad to see her go and we miss her already! She really is a wonderful person to have around. I'm so blessed to have her as my mother-in-law! She's very good at pointing out all of your good qualities and ignoring your bad ones. She's also very patient with our little boy and is willing to spend hours with him doing whatever he wants. We are definitely jealous of all you people who live close to relatives. That truly is the only downside to temporarily living in Europe. But on to the good things...
I just want to say how grateful I am for my friend Maria. She really is amazing and a blessing sent straight from Heavenly Father to me. Who taught me Spanish? Maria. Who spoke painstakingly slow to me in Spanish before I knew what I was doing? Maria. Who patiently corrects me when I use the wrong word (hacer/hechar) an innumerable amount of times in Spanish? Maria. Who loves Jay like he were her own nephew? Maria. Who comes to be a last-minute babysitter for FREE when we especially need one? Maria. Who watches Jay when I need to teach primary and Mike is gone to speak in another ward (about every other week)? Maria. Who do I trust like no one else in Spain with Jay? Maria. Who solves problems for me when I'm too timid to do so myself? Maria. Who meets me everyday on the paseo to take a walk? Maria. Who makes us dinner when we come home from a long trip? Maria. Who teaches me crazy Spanish songs to sing to Jay? Maria. Who gives me yummy bunuelos to eat? Maria. Who taught me how to open a Spanish bottle of olive oil? Maria. Who helps me learn to laugh at my mistakes? Maria. Who keeps me company when I'm sad and missing home? Maria. Who is my long-lost Spanish sister? Maria. Who strengthens my testimony with her strength and faith as a first-generation member of the Church in SPAIN? Maria. Who teaches me to be patient with Jay as I watch her lovingly parent Johnny? Maria. And today: Who taught me to make the BEST chicken ever? Maria!!!
I know I could go on and on and on, but I just wanted to write down a few things so that I can always remember what a blessing she has been and is in my life. Honestly, I know that Heavenly Father sent us to each other. I cannot say enough good about this incredible woman. I am so blessed to know her and to see her wonderful example in my life every day. Now, on to the chicken. Maria makes the most amazing Spanish chicken and she came over today to show me how to make it. She also wanted me to help her make my grandma's famous Spaghetti sauce, so as Johnny and Jay slept we cooked away. I am so excited that she taught me how to make her chicken dish. It is delicious! I figured I better share the recipe because it is oh so tasty. I keep running to the kitchen to take a few bites. There probably won't even be any left by the time Mike gets home for dinner :) One thing you do need in order to make th chicken is a pressure cooker that you can use on the stove top. I would really consider investing in one though (probably $30 in the states?) because they make chicken taste divine. It would probably work on other meats in a similar way. Okay... here's the recipe. It's simple, but it's amazing.

Pollo en Salsa

Ingredients:

- Six boneless, skinless chicken breasts (actually you can use any type of chicken you want but I used chicken breasts)
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/2 onion, quartered
- 1 whole clove of garlic minced (yeah, the whole thing... not just a slice)
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cube of chicken bouillon
- salt and pepper to taste

Heat olive oil in the pressure cooker over medium-high heat (on stove top). Rub chicken with salt and pepper. When oil is hot, fry chicken on all sides for 5 minutes. Add the onion and garlic. Cook for 5 more minutes, stirring frequently. Add white white and cook for 3 minutes. Add water and crumbled chicken bouillon, stir. Place top on the pressure cooker. Wait for the regulating device to spin. Once it begins, let chicken cook (while regulating device spins) for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, remove pressure cooker from heat, place regulating device away from you and quickly take the regulating device off of the top. Hot steam will flow out of the cooker. Take the top off and you will have a very tender chicken in a rich yellow sauce.


I'm guessing you can probably make the chicken in a crock pot, but it will take a lot longer. Bear in mind as well that I am just writing down what I saw Maria do with her pressure cooker. I have no idea if pressure cookers work the same way in the States. If anyone tries it, let me know. I have also been told you can add other things to the pot like mushrooms and carrots. Feel free to change the amount of onion and garlic in it too. I am a HUGE fan of garlic, so I put a lot in. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Nonna said...

Maria is the best. Tell her that I can't wait to try the chicken recipe and where are the vegies Maria? I know her response would be ugh! Tell her and the family hi for us and also that we too are grateful for her friendship with you...she is a very special woman.
luv mom

jessicalangprice said...

OH! Tell maria hola...and oh my gosh I can't even think in Spanish anymore - German came to me and I can't even think of the word "from." Anyway...and you do have a wonderful mother and mother in law. I'm going to try that recipe in a crock pot...I have to get wine first!