On a side note - does the Little People theme song drive anyone else crazy? I hate that voice! It's a little better in Spanish. Mike on the other hand loves the Little People song. He often sings or hums it just to annoy me. Actually, it was a good tactic since now the song makes me laugh more than anything else just because I picture Mike singing it in his best Aaron Neville voice (and no I didn't know the singer's name off the top of my head - thanks Google).
Back to the story... Jay loved his new toy. I took the batteries out before I gave it to him since it was Sacrament meeting, but he loved it all the same. Jay is a huge Little People fan. He loves his barn and he could watch that free movie that came with it all day long. It's his movie of choice in the car. Besides the Little People bus (which will remain a Sacrament only toy) I also brought Jay a little box which I filled with plastic baby spoons and forks. He loved it. He took those utensils in and out of the box an untold amount of times. He also enjoyed shoving them into the bus with his Little People friends. The q-tips in a bag were a big hit too. I guess Jay just has this thing about putting and taking small object in and out of small spaces. Any other moms with kids like him? All in all the Sacrament meeting was a huge success. I didn't have to take Jay out of the chapel once. He played quietly the whole time. What an angel! Especially since I was there without Mike this week... and I had to go on and control seven 4-year olds plus one little non-nursery toddler during Primary. It was a lovely Sunday all in all. I actually was able to enjoy the fast and testimony meeting. I also have to mention that two of my favorite Jay moments during the day were watching him dance while we sang the closing hymn in Sacrament and listening to him "sing" along with the rest of the Primary kids while they belted out I am a Child of God. Life with a toddler is never dull.
7 comments:
Nice work Anna! Those months before nursery are SO hard. And sacrament meeting...I think it's always going to be hard : ) Today was the first time since I don't know when that BOTH kids stayed in the chapel THE WHOLE TIME!!! Now if we could pull that off even half the time I would be thrilled...we'll see. You had some great ideas though, very creative, I like it.
I'm gonna have to check out the site you used to change your blog background it is really cute! I've heard about that blurb site too and some of my friends have used it to turn their blogs into books. I'm planning on doing that but I wanted to accumulate a whole years worth of posts first. Pretty cool though, huh? I've never been a scrapbooker or a good journal keeper. But blogging seems to work for me, I'm glad we'll have some sort of record!
WOW! What a creative blog background...it's really beautiful..love the brown/blue combo. The pic of Jay is great.I can't wait to get it framed. I love his expression and his extra long locks--what a charmer! xxooxx mom
Sounds like you are describing Roanan. He adores to hold something that he can stow away little treasures he collects. I think you made great choices with the "church" goodies. The best idea yet is that they are only church activities. We do that for our bunch and it seems to have that novelty affect still! Wonderful mother and a wonderful job! You are ever fabulous Anna to share such a beautiful life with friends and strangers alike!
Schonen Fasching!
I love the ideas you gave for keeping Jay quiet in Sacrament Meeting. We went through a hard adjustment period with Max too. Even though we have a very loud ward I hated that he would be disruptive. So, of course, I took him in the hall, but I wouldn't let him get down. Sometimes that would make him so mad that I had to stand in the entry way doors so that his cries wouldn't be heard in the chapel. But he soon learned that it was much more fun sitting in Sacrament Meeting playing with his toys or coloring than it was to be stuck in mom's arms in the hall. When he got to be a little older and would understand what we were telling him we would find an empty room and have him sit on a chair with his arms folded for a couple of minutes. It only took two times of that. Now he sits through all of Sacrament Meeting every week. It has been so nice! So if the novelty of the toys wears off or he has an especially hard day hopefully these ideas can help too.
Hurray! Hurray! Hurray! Thank you, other mothers, for helping, suggesting, and making church a more pleasant experience for everyone. Who would have guessed the magic in a bus, a box and q-tips? I can understand the cute little girl as a distraction however. Watch out, those girls are going to be all over him before he's two.
xo Grandma Jill*
P.S. Nice smelling cell phone Jay Bug! What a kid. xo
I love Aaron Neville! Although the Little People song isn't one of his best. Josh is on your side, however, and does a great Aaron Neville mockery! It cracks me up! He doesn't think it's natural for a man to have such a "wimpy" sounding voice, but I love it, it's very distinct and beautiful.
Post a Comment