Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Rock Collection

As before mentioned (several times) Jay loves being outside. Among his favorite activities are finding, picking up, throwing and moving rocks. There have been many times when Jay has snuck rocks inside the house without me knowing it. I find them in various places (in cabinets, shoes, under the couch etc). When I find them I put them up next to the sink since I don't think it's a good idea to have little rocks laying around the house. It has come to my attention recently that this pile is getting rather large and that indeed it has now become Jay's first rock collection. I thought I better document the first, as I assume many more will follow. I used to love collecting rocks as a little girl. I'd find one that looked especially interesting and hide it in my pocket for days where I could take it out and admire it any time I wanted. After a while it would go on my shelf for all the world to see. I'm pretty sure I imagined I was saving these rocks from a boring existence of sitting on the ground and regularly being stepped on. Then later on I began a rock collection of more outward beauty with my dad. There was a little shop in downtown Nevada City, really more of a shack, where we'd buy little beauties like tigers eye and amethyst. These rocks were placed on the ledge of the kitchen window where they could shine and shimmer when the sun came in. Perhaps my own history with rocks has prevented me from throwing the whole pile sitting next to my kitchen sink out the window. It's just hard to abandon those rocks picked especially by Jay back out into the harsh, cold world. Maybe we'll hold onto them until it's time to leave. Or who knows? Maybe we'll take them with us for a new exciting life in Spain! I'll have to consult Jay.

6 comments:

Nonna said...

Jay, I love your collection of rocks...they have such varied shapes and colors. How beautiful God's world must seem to you now that you can get so close to it. I can see you are examining each rock you choose with delicate care and then that very special one is placed carefully into your soft pocket to store with all your other rock treasures at home. Mommy is so kind to protect them for you...she knows how special they are to you. Find one for nona and for papa because we share your love of rocks too. See you soon our little geologist. Love nona :)

The Favorite said...

Hi- I'm friends with Emily H and saw you mentioned Germany so I had to check it out. I served in Heidelberg and Darmstadt and LOVED it there. It's fun to see your pictures~memories! Thanks for letting me peek.

Summer said...

I'm LOL right now...I love that Jay sneaks rocks inside the house and hides them. That is so cute! And it was fun to hear about your rock collection history as well : )

Brad said...

I think we have a few of those rock collections around our house. Not to mention the "perfect sticks" that get brought in as well. I love little boys!!

Heather and Ben said...

I can't believe how big Jay is getting. It's crazy how time flies.
You guys look like you're doing so many fun things!
I love your blog....it's fun knowing what you're up to.
I hope it's okay....I added a link on my blog to yours...for easy access!

jessicalangprice said...

I haven't seen this one yet! Such a cute post! Okay, you and Tal should have a talk this weekend. He used to collect rocks and we STILL have them in clear display boxes at his parents house! I collected shells and baseball cards...I guess depending on where we live, we'll see what Kelsey collects! Great collection little bug! Good eye.