Monday, June 09, 2008

Day with the sun

On Saturday we decided to drive down to Chipiona for a day at the beach. Our day started out great when Jay woke up at 7:30 am!!! That's seriously sleeping in for him. We headed toward the playa around Jay's nap time so he'd sleep in the car and be ready to go when we arrived. On our way down we enjoyed seeing the endless fields of bright yellow sunflowers. Although it's already starting to get hot here we love this time the year in Spain because it's so colorful and we can "legally" where flip flops again. The Spaniards have an unspoken rule stating no sandals are to be worn until June 1. I suppose it's similar to our no white after Labor Day rule except that everyone here actually follows this fashion rule... or perhaps it's just Mike and I who commit fasion faux pas no matter where we are. The weather was perfect for a beach day. We had plenty of sun and a little breeze coming off the ocean. Jay was in heaven. All day outside without having to prompt anyone with his new word "shoe." He and Mike ran back and forth up and down the beach chasing Jay's ball. They probably covered 5 miles following that ball! I happily watched them and read while catching some rays. Unfortunately I think I caught too many since my bum and the back of my legs were pretty red that night. Too little sunblock on the first day in the summer sun. Oops! Jay and I had fun building sandcastles while daddy read then Mike and I threw the Frisbee back and forth while Jay played in a little tide pool. He wasn't brave enough to get in the ocean; I think it's a little too loud for his liking. We're hoping this will change as he gets older. We had such a blast! We are constantly wishing we lived closer to the beach but at least we're only an hour away. We've both vowed that at one point in our lives we'll live on the beach. As one of my favorite Billy Joel song says,
"You've got your passion, you've got your pride,
but don't you know that only fools are satisfied?
Dream on, but don't imagine they'll all come true
When will you realize, Vienna waits for you?"
Mike and I love to dream. And actually Vienna still is waiting for us! We haven't been yet and don't know when we'll get there but we will get there ;) Good thing we both love to travel. It would be harder if one of us didn't. So our day at the beach ended up being a great success. We were all pretty tuckered out by the end of the day. Jay fell asleep in the car on the way home at 7:15 pm. Not even a 12 hour day for our Roo :) Oh how I love the weekends!

3 comments:

Angie said...

Jealous... Very jealous. :) It looks beautiful there. And you have some GREAT pictures!

jessicalangprice said...

What a nice day for the beach! Glad you guys got to go out and enjoy! I love the photo effects! You'll have to teach me the black & white with color one!

Nonna said...

Jay, how fun a day at the beach is! Wish papa and I were there with you to help you build a giant sand castle with a long winding moat surrounding it and...we would play tag with the waves. As soon as the ocean was about to touch your toes, we'd lift you high above the waves and swing you through the air then plop you down in the warm sand. How fun! We'll see you soon though and wisk you off to Maui to have the same fun. Can't wait to see you little bug! luvs nona and papa