Thursday, January 21, 2010

Potty training? Check!


Wow,  I can hardly believe I'm writing this but Jay is potty trained! Hallelujah! I kept telling myself it would happen eventually, don't stress. Numerous people pointed out that there are few kids starting High School these days who aren't potty trained (thanks dad) but it was starting to wear on my mind. But he's done. He's trained! It actually didn't take too much effort in the end. We did the "Dr. Phil" method, with Jay first teaching Mickey the Mouse how to do it, then we threw a party for Mickey and it was Jay's turn. Of course, when I told him it was his turn to try on his underwear and use the potty he immediately said no (he's been terrified to even sit on the toilet and has NEVER wanted his diaper changed). After a few minutes of frustration and pleading for help to know what to do, I remembered my good friend Maria telling me a few days before to tell Jay that her son, and Jay's best friend, Johnny goes potty on the toilet so he should too. I thought... yeah right, like that will help. Well guess what? It worked! When I mentioned Johnny Jay said, "Mommy, I want to use the potty." What? Did I hear those words correctly? Yup! And not only that, he actually followed through. He put on his Thomas the Train underwear without complaining and tried the potty out. After our first successful potty experience we threw a party, let Jay call Thomas the Train (Mike) and put a sticker on his chart. Jay was thrilled, especially about talking to Thomas. After that things went pretty smoothly. The first 2 or 3 days we had a few accidents, but they became fewer and fewer until on the 4th day he didn't have any accidents at all! We went to a friend's house on Friday (day 5) and brought the potty with us. Jay did fine going there with his potty. On Saturday (day 6) we were out and Jay had to go so I took him to the public restroom and he was totally okay! I was shocked. I thought at least that party of potty training wouldn't go well. But we've been out of the house on several occasions now and never had an accident (knock on wood). Whenever he has to go he lets me know and we find a bathroom. He's fine with both number 1 and 2 (too much detail?). I'm just so thrilled! My boy is so big. He doesn't even wear a diaper at nap time and he stays dry. Way to go Jay!!!!! I knew you could do it!!! (Well, I certainly hoped to know you could :) I'm so proud of my big boy. So to you moms who are still nervous about the experience my advice would be to take it slow, wait until your child AND you are ready and go for it. You'll know when it's the right time. Don't rush it because you feel pressured by what other moms are doing. And I promise... your child WILL be potty trained by high school. I'll even venture to say by Kindergarten ;) Yeah Jay!

10 comments:

María Pérez Sánchez said...

Muy bien, campeon! ya eres todo un hombre!!!!! ENHORABUENA JAY!!!! Por los menos tu mami puede descansar dos meses sin panales (diapers) ajajajjaj....para cogerfuerzas otra vez con la nueva bebita,no? :-)
besos a todos...os quieroooooo

Mikaela said...

Woo Hoo YEAH!!! I wanted to jump up and down and dance around like a crazy person when you told me on the phone, but Shad was asleep so I guess I will do it now instead!!

Mary Kelly said...

That is a huge milestone. Way to go Jay! Morgen goes back and forth on seeming interested. One day, hopefully soon, we will be posting a similar story to yours. How lucky to have him out of diapers before baby #2 comes along.

Melissa and Reed said...

Yeah Bug!! Yeah Anna! It's more work on mom's part I'm afraid. Great job you guys. I love all the details you gave...it's makes you seem closer than you are! XOXOX

Jeff and Aubree Gittins said...

Wow good job little Jay! Or should I say big boy Jay! lol. Congrats to both of you, that's a big step. That's got to be one of the hardest parts about parenthood!

Angie said...

Wow, great job Jay! Maddy did really well back in Sept with #1, but STILL refuses to do #2 on the potty. She just waits until bedtime when she has a diaper on. That is so frustrating to me, but maybe you're right... I should just be patient and not pressure her. Thanks!

Nonna said...

Jay, I am so proud of you BIG boy!! You now can go potty in the toilet and can run faster and jump higher without that soggy diaper holding you back:) I love you little bug and can't wait to give you the Big, BIGger, BIGGEST HUG ever!!!! Lots of Hi 5's, loves and kisses from nona an papa!!

Nonna said...

..and Mommy, you are such an expert at being a mommy!! Great work with the potty training...I don't think Cory or you were as "easy" to train as Jay. Maybe that word is misleading...I know your patience with Jay, waiting until he was ready, loving him all the way through the process, says so much about you. I am constantly amazed at your abilities, the best mother I know:) Kudos to mommy, WooHoo!

jill connelly said...

I love the key element to this story...peer pressure!!! Could this only be the beginning? You will need to hand pick ALL his friends! Such a great story. But the best part was last night when we were talking on the phone and you were in the car. "Jay do you need to go potty?" Then he answered, "No, I just need to go to Spain." I am still giggling about that adorable BIG three year old. I can't wait to see him in only six more days!!! Congrats Anna. This is a HUGE milestone for the whole family. xoxo

Tayla said...

Congratulations! That is wonderful. I was lucky that Max was a fast potty trainer too. I'm scared to start with Meg because I'm afraid it might not be so easy. But good for Jay. That is great!