For Dieziocho Jay's preschool class put on a little traditional Chilean show for the parents. He got all dressed up and danced around like a little Chilean boy. He was SO adorable.
Here's Jay showing off some of the art he's made in school lately for the Dieziocho.
Here's Jay with his little dance partner. So cute!
So I have to tell a story about this:
One day I dropped Jay off at school and his teacher asked me if I had received an e-mail about decorating a hat for school. I told her I wasn't sure and I would check. When I got home I looked through my e-mails and couldn't find the one she was talking about. We called the school to find out more (around 4 pm) and the director told us the kids needed to bring a hat to school that they had decorated... the next day. Let me put this into perspective. We have nothing here. We have no paint, no glitter, no construction paper, no crafts of any kind. We don't even have glue or tape! So "decorating" a hat (that we didn't even have) was going to be complicated. Unfortunately the day got busy and we put it out of our minds until about 9 pm when I said, "Mike! Jay is supposed to bring that hat to school tomorrow that he's decorated!" Jay was already in bed. So what did we do? We started to think. The only hat we had for Jay was a Spiderman beanie we bought off the street near the Plaza de Armas. I suggested we could cut shapes out of cardboard, cover them with tinfoil and stick them on the hat. The problem? No glue, no tape. Okay. Maybe we could stick them on with twist ties? Nope, we only had 2. What were we going to do? We started rummaging through drawers trying to figure something out. Finally we found some black thread and a needle. Jackpot! Then we found this funny clacker bracelet Grandma had sent Jay. It's rubber with small rubber tubes coming out all over and colored plastic balls on the ends. When you twist it around the small balls clack together. So we took that bracelet, cut off all the tubes with balls on the ends and sewed them to the Spiderman hat. This was the result:
We knew it was pretty lame. But when I showed up at school with it the next day and I saw the other kids with these hats:
I was pretty embarrassed! Ha ha ha... oh well. Then they displayed them at this parent open house. Good thing none of them had names next to them! We snatched ours right up and stuffed it in my purse :) I guess we're "those" parents now. Oh well, what can you do??
4 comments:
I think you guys did a pretty good job for having no tape/glue in the house! By the way, Jay looks SO much like Mike in those pictures!
Oh, and I love the beach pictures. Amaya is so beautiful!
Hey, that hat was unique! What clever parents Jay has:) The creative juices are always flowing in the Connelly family:) LOVE the video of Jay in his handsome Chilean costume...precious! Wow, his first public performance of his incredible talent! Where do those genes come from?? BIG HUGS and a gazillion smoochy kisses to my favorite little boy:)
Anna me encanta Jay con la danza chilena!!!! Parece vestido un poco como con la ropa de Flamenco andaluz...para la feria de Sevilla...es muy parecido,verdad? ajajaj es adorable...y tu siempre tan original!!! me encanta el sombrero!!! es ideal!!! Hay que ver las cosas que tenemos que hacer los padres,no? Besitos desde españa!!!
Jay Bug, I am so proud of you and your dancing talent! Keep it up kiddo. That was sooo cute. Funny funny story about the hat. I'm still laughing. Memories for the future. Where did you get his costume? Lots of love.
Post a Comment